Not to Be Rude to Floridians, BUT …
Not to be Rude to Floridians, BUT … We’re Outta Here!
“What dreadful hot weather we have! It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance.” – Jane Austen in a letter to a friend
We have loved Florida for years – in our car (with AC); in our hotels (with AC); in our RV (with AC); and now in our sailboat (BUT no AC … YET).
We’re becoming ventilation experts, though, as have lots of other cruisers without AC, but this humidity is even worse than the humid land of those three rivers in St. Charles, MO.
Our ventilation techniques? A current listing:
- Short(er) hair
- Less and much lighter clothing
- A blessed rinse and cool-down hose on Dejarlo’s swim deck (nope, not without clothes unless we’re way alone in an anchorage)
- Many, many 12-volt fans and, if we’re on shore power, we add other fans and a less than adequate portable AC unit (it’s a wind tunnel in there but …)
- Lots of H2O in us and on us, and lots more if it’s sultry and we’re not motoring or sailing
- All hatches and portals wide open to the whims of Zephyrus (with bug screens in evening hours)
Oh, and when stuck ashore, we plan heat-of-the day excursions to restaurants, stores, libraries, museums, public restrooms, etc., all of which are civilized enough to have air conditioning.
This list sounds like the “olden days”, doesn’t it? Add any other ideas to the comments below! Please.
So … we’re advancing north (ok, at a snail’s pace), looking for some weather relief. Hope, hope, hope.